Skin is not only your largest organ, it’s the version of yourself that you present to the outside world. Keeping your skin happy and healthy is one of the most important components of self-care and self-confidence.
That being said, skincare is a complex subject, and everybody’s skin is different. So we’ve broken down the most important tips that apply to all skin types.
Currently struggling with dullness, dryness, redness, breakouts, or another common skin complaint? Not to worry—we’ve got you covered with these 5 tips for making your skin happier and healthier.
1. Eat the Right Foods
It might sound cliche, but healthy skin really does start from within. Maintaining a clean, healthy diet goes hand-in-hand with happy, healthy skin.
Diets high in processed sugars and unhealthy fats have been shown to contribute to acne and accelerated skin aging. Conversely, an antioxidant-rich diet has been shown to have the opposite effect.
According to Mayo Clinic, antioxidant-rich foods have a protective effect on skin. Specifically, foods like:
- Spinach and other green leafy vegetables
- Beans, lentils and peas
- Apricots, carrots, and other yellow/orange fruit and veggies
- Mackerel, salmon and other fatty fish
Eat plenty of these and opt for whole-grain bread and pasta. Steer clear of the foods that are associated with skin damage and aging, such as processed or refined sugars as well as saturated and trans fats.
2. Drink Plenty of Water
Alongside eating well, drinking lots of water every day can dramatically improve your skin’s appearance in the following ways:
- Clearing acne
- Improving elasticity
- Preventing wrinkles
In fact, according to Healthline, you should aim for eight 8-ounce glasses a day (about half a gallon of water). This is called the 8x8 method— your skin (and overall health) will thank you for it in the long run.
3. Exercise Most Days
When you exercise, your heart rate increases and boosts your blood circulation.
This stimulated blood flow helps to nourish skin cells, send them more oxygen, and carry away waste. You also sweat, which allows your skin’s pores to open and release any internal build-up.
The result? The promotion of collagen production and new skin cells that keep the skin healthy, youthful, and glowing.
With that being said, if you don’t cleanse your face properly post-workout, the sweat produced during exercise can clog your pores and cause breakouts. We recommend investing in a cleansing tool like meejee that is able to easily remove all of the sweat and impurities that contribute to clogged pores and breakouts.
4. Stay Well-Rested
Getting at least seven to eight hours of sleep each night can make a significant difference in how your skin looks and feels. When you’re sleep-deprived, your body produces higher levels of the stress hormone cortisol - which can be detrimental to healthy skin, especially if you’re prone to acne.
Conversely, a healthy, consistent dose of sleep every night reduces cortisol levels, contributes to collagen production, and allows your body to nourish and repair skin.
Struggling to get some much-needed shut-eye?
- Create a sleep schedule, and stick to it! Decide on a time to go to sleep each night, and make sure to turn off electronics at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
- Avoid napping during the day. Naps that are longer than 30 minutes can disrupt your sleep schedule and make it harder for you to fall asleep at night.
- Be active every day. Wear yourself out so that you’re tired enough to fall asleep in the evening.
If possible, try to avoid caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, and big meals in the evening to maintain the utmost quality sleep.
5. Level-Up Your Daily Skincare Routine
Last but not least, develop a strong skincare routine that you can stick with on a consistent basis.
- If you wear makeup, make sure you are removing ALL of it before bed. Free radicals in makeup are known to damage skin over time and contribute to accelerated skin aging. Facial cleansing massagers like meejee make it super easy to properly remove all of your makeup.
- Wondering how to clean your skin good? Cleanse thoroughly twice a day to get rid of leftover makeup, congested dirt, and excess oil.
- Moisturize, even if you have oily skin. A lack of healthy moisture will cause your skin to produce excess sebum and oil, contributing to clogged pores and acne.
- Wear sunscreen, even when you’re indoors, to protect your skin barrier and avoid the harmful effects of UV rays.
- Exfoliate consistently to get rid of dead skin cells, promote new cell growth, and give you that much-desired glow.
If you’re looking for an easy way to properly cleanse impurities from pores, promote blood flow and new cell growth, and reduce signs of aging, consider investing in a sonic facial cleansing massager.
What is the best facial cleansing brush? meejee is a silicone facial cleansing brush with soft non-abrasive bristles. This means it can seriously level-up your skincare routine while being kind to your skin.
Maximizing These Tips for Happy and Healthy Skin
Happy and healthy skin doesn’t just happen overnight. Consistency is key. You have to put in the work by investing in the right products, using them with your facial cleansing massager and sticking to your routine. That said, it’s all worth it when you start seeing genuine improvements in the health and appearance of your skin.